Wednesday, 22 May 2013
President apologises to APNU leader for oversight ... » PRESIDENTIAL Adviser on Governance, Gail Teixeira,...
APNU reasons for pull-out of Money Laundering obli... » HOME Affairs Minister Clement Rohee believes that ...
As an additional boost to mobile fleet... Police g... » THE Guyana Police Force (GPF), yesterday, received...
High tide warning in effect - more sandbags aligne... » THE Ministry of Public Works has issued a warning ...
OPR to probe Shaka Chase torture allegations - Roh... » MINISTER of Home Affairs, Clement Rohee yesterday ...
Granger’s associate fingered in U.S. corruption ... » A FORMER member of the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) ...
AFC Councilor rebuffs party shenanigans …says Ra... » “THE budget cuts are unconscionable and unconsti...
Over 1, 500 laptops given out in Region 4 - as OL... » WITH a total of 28,000 laptops already in the hand...
BOSAI rents 3 diesel gensets to bolster Linden ele... » THE BOSAI Minerals Group (Guyana) Inc yesterday ac...
|Ralph Ramkarran is no traitor|
|Monday, 02 July 2012 22:09|
Khemraj Ramjattan is trying his utmost to corrupt PPP supporters into thinking the way he and Moses Nagamootoo do, that joining with the PNC could get the collective into government.
The problem is that all of the so-called leaders of the opposition are presidential hopefuls who each aspire to a ‘high place in any governmental construct; so it would be interesting to see the fallout if the joint opposition ever ascends to the highest office in the land. The resultant cat-fight would beat any international fighting bout.
The ultimate opportunist has been trying to inveigle the older freedom-fighters of the PPP to join them in their notorious forays in destabilizing the PPP/C administration, which would lend them credibility.
So he has been gleeful, while shedding crocodile tears, at former Speaker of the House, veteran politician Ralph Ramkarran’s decision to resign from the party he has, as have his parents before him, spent a lifetime serving; admittedly as a result of a misunderstanding between himself and another party executive member.
However, while the party was happy to be rid of Ramjattan and Nagamootoo, Ralph Ramkarran is another matter. He s one of the old stalwarts who is intrinsically linked to the values of the founders of the party, Dr. and Mrs. Jagan, and there is every likelihood that he would reconsider leaving the party to which he had dedicated a lifetime of service over a minor issue. He is certainly too valued within party ranks and it is without doubt that the party would prevail upon him to change his decision.
This has been made clear in a press release issued by that party, which states: “The People’s Progressive Party (PPP) received the letter of resignation, from the party, from Mr. Ralph Ramkarran on June 30th, 2012.
As was stated in Cde Ramkarran’s press statement, the trigger for this was a very heated discussion at the Executive Committee Meeting held on June 29th, 2012.
Fiery debates are not unusual in the Party, unfortunately this one led to a resignation. In fact, the Party's leadership encourages open and frank deliberation on all issues with members given the opportunity to fully participate.
The Party’s EXCO still hopes that Cde Ramkarran will reconsider his action as there is no fundamental disagreement on any policy issue. It was a case where Cde. Ramkarran felt insulted by the remarks of another member and left the meeting before it concluded. The offending remark was withdrawn by the member and an apology was also offered.
The Party wishes to state that Cde Ramkarran is a long-standing and highly-respected member. He has made very valuable contributions to the Party and the country as a whole.
We intend to engage Cde Ramkarran in further discussions with a view of reconciling the matter. This is an approach we have always taken in such situations.”
Ralph Ramkarran has always been dutiful to his party and his country. Both are today sorely in need of his services, maybe as never before, and the party is hoping that he changes his mind.
But even if he does not change his mind about resigning his political membership, there is scant likelihood that Ramjattan’s wishes would be fulfilled, because Ralph Ramkarran is astute enough to recognise that he has nothing to gain, but will certainly lose his good name and tarnish his pristine image if he ever joins the ranks of the ilk of Ramjattan and Nagamootoo.
He has a rare wisdom that he has demonstrated for years while he served as Speaker, and the kind of integrity that the likes of Ramjattan and Nagamootoo can never aspire to. He is fully aware that joining the AFC would be empowering the PNC, and that would threaten the bastion of democracy that his parents and himself had fought for all of their lives. Ralph Ramkarran is no turncoat and, let alone his country, Ralph Ramkarran would never betray the sacred memory of his parents.
More Top Stories
- President apologises to APNU leader for oversight - Teixeira
- APNU reasons for pull-out of Money Laundering obligations a smokescreen …had been looking for an excuse all along - Rohee
- As an additional boost to mobile fleet... Police get more vehicles worth $61M - compliments Ministry of Home Affairs
- High tide warning in effect - more sandbags aligned
- OPR to probe Shaka Chase torture allegations - Rohee
- Granger’s associate fingered in U.S. corruption probe
- AFC Councilor rebuffs party shenanigans …says Ramjattan bluffing on readiness for snap elections
- Over 1, 500 laptops given out in Region 4 - as OLPF Secretariat rolls out massive distribution drive
- BOSAI rents 3 diesel gensets to bolster Linden electricity supply
- ACCUSED COP KILLER REMANDED - prosecution has total of 17 witnesses, defence has lots of alibi evidence
- Rise up against opposition stand on money laundering law …PPP wants social forces to bring to bear pressure over hardline stand
- Two-mile-wide tornado kills at least 51 -- including 7 elementary school students
- Ruling PPP/C leads APNU & AFC in popular support -according to latest NACTA poll
- Lost Hope... The mystery of two sugar workers who disappeared eight years ago
- Forensic laboratory scheduled for June completion -equipment to begin arriving next week
- Tree pins Wakapao pensioner to death
- 24-year old missing after vessel capsizes
- GPL will need $5B subvention in face of pay hike-Dr Singh
- Three persons detained for Mootoos killing
- No flexibility with importation of banned, restricted chemicals-Dr Ramsammy